Friday, April 24, 2009

Earth Day

I don’t know what you all did for earth day but I hope you had fun. I spent the afternoon polishing my 1963 Cadillac Sedan Deville with harp seal skin interior and optional 28 barrel carburetor. I then sat my family down for some frittata made with endangered condor eggs and we capped the evening off with a redwood bonfire.

In light of the festivities I though I would post a reminder of all the preditcions made during th efrist earth day.

“Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make. The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.” -Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University biologist

“Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half.” -Life Magazine, January 1970

“By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.’” - Kenneth Watt, Ecologist
Read the rest here.

Its not to say that we shouldn’t be good stewards, I personally think it is a virtue to be a good steward … its just a gentile reminder that people have used their positions in the scientific elite to push their personal political agenda which was thinly wrapped in environmental gobbledygook.

2 comments: